The Scarlet & Black

The Student News Site of Grinnell College

The Scarlet & Black

The Scarlet & Black

Gun Club left smoking

Late Sunday morning, Tucker Bush ’12 and Bogdan Krstic ’12 smelled smoke coming from the kitchen of their apartment at the Brande and quickly discovered that their couch on the fire escape had caught fire. “I think my exact words were, ‘Holy s*** the couch is on fire,’” Bush said. They called 911 and attempted to put out the fire. The firefighters came, and when they extinguished the flames, Bush and Krstic found that the flames had destroyed part of the wall of their kitchen. Neither Bush nor Krstic know how the fire started, though the firefighters suspect that cigarettes were involved. They think the couch had been smoldering overnight but caught flame when the wind picked up in the morning. At the party Bush and Krstic hosted the night before, someone dropped cigarette ashes onto the couch but quickly poured water over it, so they are unsure as to who may have caused the fire. However, they think the party the night before went so smoothly that it was worth the trouble of nearly burning down the apartment. “The party’s not over until the firefighters leave,” Krstic said.

-Avery Rowlison

Leave a Comment
More to Discover
Donate to The Scarlet & Black
Our Goal

Comments (0)

All The Scarlet & Black Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *