Hoof It this weekend for charity

The Hoofin’ It 5K Run/Walk will take place this Saturday, April 30, at 10 a.m., beginning and finishing at the Harris Center on 10th Avenue between Park Street and East Street.

Hoofin’ It 5K is an annual race held to raise money for charitable causes. This year’s proceeds will go to Mid-Iowa Community Action Group (MICA), an organization that distributes food to low-income members of the community, and to Heifer International, which supplies livestock to communities in 115 countries to end hunger and poverty.

The race is planned and run by Mortar Board, a student group based around aiding poverty in the town. Each year, they recruit other campus organizations to help out, including Psi Chi, a national Psychology Honor Society. Psi Chi is one of this year’s sponsor groups and will be supplying volunteers on race day.

Mortar Board mapped out and clearly marked the route for the race, available on the Grinnell website, informed Grinnell residents whose property is along the race route and designed t-shirts which every participant will receive. Additional prizes will be given to the top three runners in the following men’s and women’s age groups, including 18 and under, 19-25, 26-35, 36-45, 46-55, 56 plus.

Water will be provided before, after and along the race with beverages, snacks and music following the race.

“Hoofin’ It is Mortar Board’s biggest project, and it’s a great way for the members of the Grinnell community to get together and have fun—students, faculty and residents alike,” said Mortar Board leader Perri Grabow ’11.

Registration is $20 on the day of the race. Check-in and number pick-up can be completed either the day before the race from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. or 5 p.m.-8 p.m. at the information desk in the Joe Rosenfield  ’25 Center or on race day from 8:30-9:45 a.m. at the Harris Center. Parking will be available for participants near the start of the race. Spectators are welcome and will be in for the treat of watching President Kington fire the starting gun at 10 a.m. The race has been a success in past years and is expected to be as exciting and beneficial this Saturday.

“I have only done it once or twice, but it is a great event for the entire community,” said Grinnell Swim Coach Erin Hurley, a participant in a previous Hoofin’ It 5K. “In less than half an hour you get to see some of Iowa’s beautiful landscape on the far North side of town, while running or walking for a great cause.  It is a really supportive event where the concept of just participating is quite rewarding.”