Lonnski’s Pub and Deli

Grinnell students eager to get off campus would be wise to hit up Lonnski’s Pub and Deli, found at its fairly new location, 908 Main Street. With its helpful staff and comfortable atmosphere, Lonnski’s is a casual place for community members to meet up and hang out.

Older students might remember when Lonnski’s was further down the block and Jimbo’s occupied this space, but those days of pizza and delivery have been replaced by spinach-artichoke dip and an extraordinary variety of sandwiches.

The décor at Lonnski’s is best described as somewhat eclectic—a mixture of artsy posters, comfortable seating and two bicycles hanging, inexplicably, from the ceiling. The bar, foosball and pool tables located in the back area suggest that this is a restaurant best visited at night.

The menu is fairly standard, encompassing soup, salads, appetizers, burgers, sandwiches and a number of vegetarian-friendly options. Red Chile Poppers taste a lot like the Grille’s jalapeño poppers, but are good nevertheless.

Entrees were generally priced under $10, and half-servings are available as a lower cost option, so a visit to Lonnski’s won’t break the budget.

A staple of downtown Grinnell, Lonnski’s is a good option for a relaxed dinner or a fun night out—nothing fancy, but definitely worth a visit.