PWeb malfunction halts election

The Student Government Association (SGA) Senator elections held Tuesday were disrupted by a data failure on PioneerWeb (PWeb). Make-up elections are being held today for all dorm clusters except off-campus, which was not affected.

From at least 10:30 p.m. until the election ended at midnight, students were unable to vote in any dorm cluster besides off-campus, according to SGA Administrative Coordinator Elizabeth Maltby ’11. Because students did not have a full opportunity to vote, the elections were invalidated.

The problem occurred because PWeb only partially downloaded an automatic update. Students were temporarily not assigned to dorm clusters, so they did not have access to the elections, according to Applications Integrator Wayne Twitchell, who maintains PWeb.

Jake McVeigh ’11, Elisabeth Rennick ’11 and Pete Edberg ’11 ran off-campus for three Senator positions. McVeigh and Rennick were elected. Edberg received just under the 25% of the vote needed to win. He is in an unopposed run-off election today against “no confidence.”

Students living on-campus will vote today for their Senators and run-off elections will be held on Sunday. Full results will be posted on PWeb Tuesday and printed in the upcoming issue of the S&B.