Fucked Up: Gardner Meets Its Match

If past live performances are any indication, tonight’s concert by hardcore punk band Fucked Up might cause things to get, well, fucked up. In an appearance on MTV Live (Canada), playing in the men’s bathroom, the band tore through ceiling tiles with microphone stands and eventually triggered a stampede of moshing fans. At last spring’s South by Southwest festival in Austin the band incited a near-riot when they played on top of a bridge.

Thankfully, the band’s music matches their antics. Since they began releasing full albums in 2006, they have slowly gained a following among the indie community. Last year’s Chemistry of Common Life showed up on many year-end lists—for good reason.
Fucked Up manages to remain true to their hardcore roots while expanding beyond the simple three-cord structure. The opening track “Sons of Life” starts with a flute, but gets pushed out by raging guitar riffs and lead singer Damian “Pink Eyes” Abraham’s gruff voice. Even when their sound sticks closer to their roots, they change the formula again by layering guitars on top of one another.

But live performances truly define the band. Abraham alone puts on an amazing show—the 300 hundred pound frontman can start a mosh pit like no other, and his nickname, “Pink Eyes,” was earned because of the blood running down his face due to self-inflicted injuries during shows.

The energy of the rest of the band—while not quite as strong Abraham’s—turns shows into a frenetic night of destruction.
So even if you don’t worship at the altar of Henry Rollins or frequent the hardcore scene, stop by Gardener tonight to check out one of the best and most anarchic shows of the year.