Track and field opens indoor season with new records

Marc Duebener
Luca Fornari `25 won the pole vaulting event for the men’s team at the Jan. 27 Grinnell Invitational indoor track meet.

At the Jan. 27 Grinnell Invitational indoor track meet, the women’s and men’s track and field teams combined to take three wins and set two new indoor records. 

Lucas Fadden `26 broke the record for the 60-meter dash. (Marc Duebener)

On the women’s side, Morgan Karow `26 took the 5000-meter run and Hannah Roark `26 won the 1-mile run. 

The men’s one victory came at the pole vault, where Luca Fornari `25 surpassed the competition. 

Despite not winning the race, Lucas Fadden `26 broke the Charles Benson Bear `39 field house record for the 60-meter dash — his 6.90 seconds improving on the previous indoor record of 6.97, also held by Fadden. In the men’s 60-meter hurdles, Ilem Leisher `27 set a record of 8.96 seconds, beating the previous record of 9.04 set in 2012. 

The Pioneers also recently traveled to Decorah, Iowa for the Luther Invitational at Luther College on Feb. 3, and will be back in action at home on Feb. 10 in the Charles Benson Bear `39 Recreation and Athletic Center field house for the Darren Young Classic.