10/10/10 party organizers make changes for safety

The organizers of the annual all-campus party 10/10 are planning changes to this year’s event. Plans include adding an extra security guard and canceling the party in Lazier in order to prevent thefts and vandalism like those that happened last year and to help guarantee participants’ safety.

The Grinnell Ultimate Frisbee Team, which organizes the party every year, met with the Harm Reduction Committee and Student Affairs to brainstorm ideas for improving the safety and security of the party. Last year, students and attendants unaffiliated with the college caused hundreds of dollars of vandalism and dozens of thefts, including 20 reports of stolen computers (see S&B 10/30/09).

“We and the administration agreed what happened last year can’t happen again,” said Adam Weil ’11, a party organizer.

The adjustments include a second Campus Security guard who will trail the party checking dorms that have emptied to ensure there is no suspicious activity. Last year, non-students were able to stay in dorms after the party left and commit thefts. The party is typically held in many dorm buildings and travels from one to the next as the night progresses.

The party will not have a stop in Lazier Hall this year because of concerns about fire code violations and lack of space due to its small lounge. Instead, the proceedings will go from Younker straight to Loose instead of stopping at Lazier like in the past.

Extra Grinnell Police will be on-call in case they are needed for incidents such as medical emergencies, thefts and fights. All Campus Events (ACE) Student Security will be present in every lounge. All of the rescue dogs—students who roam the event ensuring that party-goers enjoy their experience—will have TIPS training (Training for Intervention Procedures) on how to serve alcohol safely. Bathroom readers with safety tips will go up before the party and substance free activities will be available as an alternative.

The purpose of these changes is primarily to prevent thefts and vandalism, not to alter the party itself.

“The motto of the party is, ‘I want security where students aren’t,’” said Holden Bale ’12, SGA Vice President of Student Affairs and co-chair of the Harm Reduction Committee.
Director of Security Stephen Briscoe laid down simple guidelines for a smooth night.

“If people choose to drink, drink responsibly,” Briscoe said. “Have a good time. Try to stay out of the roads, try not to get in any altercations. No fireworks, no one pulling alarms for no reason, and no one gets hurt. No thefts. That would be a good night.”

Since last year’s thefts and vandalism were mostly due to non-Grinnell students coming in, the Harm Reduction committee encourages students to approach people they don’t recognize doing something suspicious and investigate.

“The administration will only shut this down if something goes awfully,” Bale said. “And if something goes awfully it’s not going to be Grinnell students.”