Senior Issue 2024

Olmstead Sweet Treats serves up newest scoops

From+left%3A+Co-owners+of+Olmstead+Sweet+Treats%2C+Charlotte+Ashby+and+Troy+Olmstead+with+their+daughter+who+also+is+a+manager.+
Sun Yuvachitti
From left: Co-owners of Olmstead Sweet Treats, Charlotte Ashby and Troy Olmstead with their daughter who also is a manager.

At 310 Sixth Ave., Sharla Ashby and her partner, Troy Olmstead, have brought a delightful addition to Grinnell’s local scene with their ice cream shop and eatery, Olmstead Sweet Treats. The establishment, which opened its doors on June 30, has quickly become a popular spot for residents and visitors alike.

Ashby’s longtime dream came to life when she and Troy decided to transform their former business, Olmstead Towing, into their own restaurant and ice cream shop. A seasoned manager with more than 25 years of experience in the food service industry, Ashby has a rich history of leadership in her hometown of Webster County and the Franklin and Hardin County regions. Her extensive management portfolio includes overseeing operations at an ice cream parlor, a fast-food establishment, hospitals and various food service venues.

“It’s just been something I always wanted to do,” Ashby said. “I love ice cream, and I’ve always dreamt of having my own little restaurant.”

I love ice cream, and I’ve always dreamt of having my own little restaurant.

— Sharla Ashby

The menu at this charming eatery has evolved since its inception, as Ashby and her team have been fine-tuning their offerings based on customer feedback and local preferences. While the star of the show is undoubtedly the ice cream, they also serve up a variety of other foods, including taco burgers, super nachos, brisket, homemade hot beef sandwiches, and more.

Olmstead Sweet Treats is open every day of the week and features a takeout window and outdoor seating. Alongside its online ordering system, Ashby and Olmstead intends to eventually include a local delivery service, a drive-thru window, renovated indoor seating, and the possibility of offering breakfast items in the future.

“We’ve had lots of changes,” Ashby said. “Our menu keeps changing, and we’ve got lots of things in the works.” 

What sets this establishment apart is its deep connection to family and mutual support. Ashby takes pride in being a hands-on manager, whether she’s leading the business, preparing food, or even doing the dishes. “I don’t ask anybody to do anything here that I wouldn’t do,” she said.

“I’m no different than you,” Ashby said to her employees. “I’ve been there.” 

This ice cream shop and eatery has become a sweet success story in the heart of the community, proven by it running out of ice cream in its opening days due to high demand.

Olmstead Sweet Treat’s hours are from 11 a.m. to  9 p.m. every day except on Sunday. On Sundays, they have a later opening at 2 p.m. and stay open until 9 p.m. 

.