Community Members Speak: On small-town living

Sheryl Anderson, 72, showcasing her ceramic booth at the Farmers Market (Brisa Zielina)

“You have to lean on the people. In smaller communities, you come more together … to work on projects that better the community.” – Sheryl Anderson

Craig Gibbens `95 standing in his favorite spot inside STEW Makerspace, Studio A (3D printers) (Br)

In a small town, you have the opportunity to really get to know your neighbors and community members in a way you don’t normally. When I was a student at Grinnell, we almost never left campus, and that’s really changed over the years, but there’s a lot of opportunities that you get from walking around.” – Craig Gibbens, Manager of the STEW Makerspace

Bruce Gertsma, 64, working in the equipment room underneath the Charles Benson Bear `39 Gym

“Stick to your friends as much as you can, and do what you can find to do together. ” – Bruce Gertsma, Weekend Equipment Room Manager

Debra Ehrmann, 71, at Drake Community Library

For me, I like to tell my white friends that I miss the colors of the world…because of the expanded worldview. …When things compress on you–that can happen–then I have to get out of town and walk down Iowa City and see all the different people.” – Debra Ehrmann