Aquapella is ready to sync and swim

Aquapella has been preparing weekly for their upcoming show, “Aquapella’s Britney Spears Show.”

Mohammad Igbaria, Sports Editor

Members of Aquapella dive into the pool as part of their routine. (Owen Barbato)

2023 Iowa College Media Association award winner, Third Place – Best Print/Online Sports Photo

All eyes certainly will be on Aquapella this coming Sunday when they debut their Britney Spears show. 

Taking place on May 7 from 4-4:30 p.m. in the Charles Benson Bear `39 Recreation and Athletic Center Natatorium diving well, the synchronized swimming group will be taking to the waters for another of their semi-annual shows, but for the first time, they will be in matching team swimsuits.

Originally founded in 2018 as the Raykettes, the club faced some rough waters during the pandemic with only three club members returning to the team, according to Julia Tlapa `23, one of the club’s leaders. 

Since their return, the club has been able to stay afloat and eventually grow to be 16 members strong.

A student-led organization, the now co-ed group is excited to break the ice with their upcoming performance.

Marcy Cassidy-Mapp contributed reporting. 

Members of Aquapella, Grinnell’s synchronized swimming club in the Charles Benson Bear `39 Recreation and Athletic Center Natatorium pool. (Owen Barbato)