Students Speak: Spring Break Recap

S&B staff writer Gabby Hernandez checks in with Grinnell students about their spring breaks. All photos are contributed by interviewees.

Harry MacArthur `23

“Over break I was able to go home for a week, which was quite relaxing. I got to see my family, play with my dogs, get some rest, and eat some good food. However, the highlight of my spring break was a ski trip I got to take with my father in British Columbia. We got too ski some gnarly terrain and ski over and explore glaciers. Also got some cheeky fly fishing in, though I didn’t get a single bite.”

Katie Hirschboeck `23 (right)

“Over break I went to Lisbon, Portugal with our Peace and Conflict Studies class called Conflict Analysis. And our goal was to look at museums and monuments in Portugal and see how they memorialized their conflicted history with being the biggest colonizers and also the wars they fought in Africa. We visited this museum called the Aljube which used to be a prison. That was really scary, touching and fun. We also went on a day trip to this town called Cascais and we got to see really cool nature.”

Kendall Yim `24 (left)

“I went home to Maryland for spring break. I got a haircut. I feel very fresh. I visited a Grinnell friend in Philly for the day, and we ate lunch at Reading Terminal Market.”

Maya Llewellyn `25 (far right)

“I went on a trip with my class [New and Emerging Infectious Diseases] to South Africa. We stayed in Kruger National Park and did Biology things. We woke up early to catch birds and small mammals and ticks… I’m gonna talk about it for the rest of my life, it was such a cool trip!”

Finn Dierks-Brown `24

“So I’m in [Grinnell] Singers and we toured and sang in Rochester, Minnesota, St. Paul, Chicago, Des Moines, and Madison, Wisconsin. It was exhausting with long bus rides from place to place… but like it was fun.”