Andrew Tucker, Visual Editor

Photo contributed by Andrew Tucker.

I started “actually” taking photos in eighth grade, and arriving to Grinnell, I knew that photography was something I wanted to continue. Hearing of The S&B at Grinnell’s annual org. fair, I signed up as a freelance photographer and quickly learned that photojournalism was a fun opportunity to engage with the local community in ways I otherwise wouldn’t have.

Over the past seven semesters, my goal was to find ways of making photos and graphics meaningful extensions of the pieces they represent. Visual elements provide this unique front row seat to the ordinary and the extraordinary happenings of Grinnell; they create an opportunity to spark readers’ interest regardless of the topic being covered. In the past year, visuals have added an experiential element to our work for those that may not be on campus.

For as much fun as I’ve had in my time as visual editor, that excitement is only made possible by the amazing work of our staff photographers and graphic editor. I specifically want to take a moment to thank Kaya Matsuura, Shabana Gupta and Tess Kerkhof, whose talents have helped elevate The S&B’s visual content to a new peak of relevance and quality. Looking forward, I know the sky is the limit for how our visuals can continue evolving. While text often conveys substance, images can translate that substance to emotion.

I can’t wait to see where The S&B goes from here, and I’m confident that Eva and Abraham’s leadership will take it to new heights once again