Men’s Soccer kicks off season with a draw

After losing nine players since last year, the men’s soccer team started the season off strong on Wednesday in a game against Cornell College. The Pioneers took a 2-0 lead in the first half, eventually ending the game in a 2-2 tie.
With talented players like JP Prouty ’10 and Alex Exarhos ’10—multiple All-Midwest Conference selections—having graduated, the Pioneers are working with a much different team. The new co-captain Mark Rosenberg ’11 seems undeterred.
“We won’t be nearly as athletic and as good as last year, but we can definitely be just as solid with our solid work ethic,” Rosenberg said.
The players have been working hard in order to improve their technical skills as well as to get to know each other.
“During preseason, we had a two-a-day practice and it really helped with the team’s cohesiveness,” said Jay Dreier ’13. “We’re not as tightly knit as we should be, but I know we’re going to get closer together as the season progresses.” Dreier scored one of the two goals in the season opener.
Adrian Alston-Moore ’14 and Alex Bolinger ’14 stood out to the upperclassmen during practices and at a scrimmage against Luther College.
“Adrian can definitely be a spark for us,” said co-captain Evan Wright ’12. “He has a great work ethic and he has great athleticism and speed. He could definitely be a spark for us.”
Where Alston-Moore has proven himself as consistent, full field player, Bolinger has made a name for himself as a player on which to depend in clutch moments.
“Alex may not be the biggest or the fastest or the most athletic player on the team,” Rosenberg said. “But he has done an exceptional job as a freshman and he has stepped up every time there has been an opportunity.”
Incoming freshmen have been able to display their full potential thanks to the leadership of the seniors, especially the two co-captains.
“The biggest job we have as captains is to keep people focused and to let the players know we have an ultimate goal,” Wright said. “Underclassmen look up to us, not because of our skill or talent, but because of how we behave and act as leaders.”
Along with the talents of the incoming freshmen and the veteran leadership of the returning players, the relationship between the players and head coach Brian Jaworski is another aspect of the team that will propel the Pioneers this year.
“He has this kind of energy and passion and motivates you to do well,” Wright said. “He treats [the players] like his family and all the players have an enormous respect for him.”
Drier echoed those sentiments.
“He will say to each of us that he loves us and yet at the same time he will get on our case if we do something wrong or if we don’t perform,” Dreier said.
Despite the changes that the team went through, the players are confident that they can repeat their feat last year once again.
“Our goal is to win the Midwest Conference and advance to the first round of the NCAA Tournament,” Rosenberg said. “At the very least.”
Regrettably, Coach Jaworski was unavailable for comment all week.