Town to host first annual Grinnell Games in June

Grinnell will certainly be bringing out all its tricks for the community showcase during the first annual Grinnell Games, a rare event featuring action and alternative sports.

The event will begin in grand fashion with the opening of the new Aquatic Center—located at 80 8th Ave between Bailey and Lions Park—on Thursday June 3 at noon. The Games will conclude with a show by Team iQuad, North America’s premier kite team, at 10-3 p.m. on Sunday June 6 at Ahrens Park.

People all over town are already counting down the days until the event, which will truly be a unique combination of events. “The Herald Register said this is one of the only events like this in the country and it will bring in people to Grinnell and show people what the town of Grinnell is like,” said Ryan Moorehead ’13 who lives in Grinnell.

Though this weekend extravaganza will be the first of its kind, it is likely to become an annual event and a great way for Grinnell to build its reputation amongst Iowans. “There isn’t enough awareness all over Iowa in terms of all things Grinnell has for tourists, and this will highlight the new Aquatic Center, and all the other things we do,” said Angela Harrington, Grinnell Chamber of Commerce.

Harrington explained that Grinnell Games will also bring an excellent economic boost for all the businesses in town.

“Thousands of people from all over Iowa will be coming. This means all the restaurants, hotels and shops will see some increased traffic,” Harrington said.

There will be a wide range of events for attendees of all ages to participate in and watch. For example, the town will host a Friday Fest Block Party on June 4 at 4 p.m. as well a baseball tournament for kids of ages 10-14 all day on Saturday and Sunday at the Ahrens Baseball Complex. There will also be a Disc Golf Tournament on Sunday at 10 a.m. Other events include a kids’ fishing derby at Lake Nyanza, a truck-pulling competition, a horse show at Poweshiek County Fair Grounds, and even some sweet live music at Central Park.

As if the weekend weren’t packed with enough activities, Grinnell Games will also feature dynamic BMX biking and skating stars.

“I think they’re bringing in professional or semi-professional BMX bikers and skateboarders [who are] going to put on clinics for the kids in town,” said Moorehead. “They’re also going to have competitions at the skate parks, so it will be nice to see that getting some use.”

Indeed, the events will provide thrills for everyone coming to Grinnell and all the townspeople. “We wanted to appeal to all event-goers, and make it fun for kids,” said Harrington. “It will be pretty cool to see the best kite flyers in North America with iQuad and also the BMX bike and skate show [which] will be pretty awesome to watch with all the aerial tricks and flips they do.”

Harrington explained that the planning of the event was a pretty painless process, as it was only a matter of getting the word out there and have as many tourists ‘Get Into Grinnell,’ as the event’s slogan reads. Ultimately, Grinnell Games will be a splendid chance for the town of Grinnell to reveal its beauties and resources and show why this little town in the heart of the prairie is such a marvelous place to live.