Bernie Sanders, Ilhan Omar, others to visit Saints Rest this afternoon

Sen. Bernie Sanders spoke at Grinnell College’s Darby Gym the Iowa caucuses approached in 2016. Photo by John Brady.

According to a listing on his campaign’s website,  Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Rep. Ilhan Omar (MN-05), Rep. Pramila Jayapal (WA-07) and Sanders’s wife Jane will be in Grinnell for a “coffee event” at Saints Rest Coffee House this afternoon.

Previously, the event was billed without Sanders’s name, and an organizer with the campaign told The S&B his appearance “is a surprise to us as well.”

The Senator, along with presidential rival Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), was called back to the Senate to serve as a juror in President Donald J. Trump’s impeachment trial last week and has been unable to barnstorm in the crucial days before caucus night. Instead, he has relied on surrogates ranging from climate activist Naomi Klein to filmmaker Michael Moore in order to rally supporters and win over undecided voters.

Now, it seems Grinnell voters will finally get their chance to hear the Senator make his case in his own words.

The Saints Rest event will be Sanders’s first major showing in Grinnell this election cycle. The first was a small gathering at a supporter’s home in town over winter break, which means that most students were unable to attend.

Doors open at 2:00 p.m., and the event begins at 3:00 p.m.