Erica Satchell ’21 appointed ACE chair for remainder of spring

By Maya Dru
drumaya@grinnell.edu

At a Student Senate meeting on April 7, the Student Government Association (SGA) named Erica Satchell ’21 as the new All Campus Events (ACE) Chair. Satchell’s appointment follows the decision of former ACE Chair Selah Mystic ’19 to step down on March 30.

Typically, ACE has co-chairs, but given budget cuts, SGA shrunk the position to one student. In part, SGA’s downsized the position to finance the new Associate Director of Student Activities.

SGA President Myles Becker ’19 said, “I think perhaps we might have overlooked the transition period of going from two to one, and even through this process I realized how much [Mystic] does in ways that I don’t think I understood before.”

Satchell will be in office for the duration of the 2018-2019 school year. Next year, Amelia Zoernig ’21 will fill the position in the fall, followed by Lana Katai ’21 in the spring.

“I’ll see about fourth year,” Satchell said, asked whether or not she would reapply to the ACE chair position after her term concludes this spring.

It is unusual for SGA to replace Cabinet members so late in the semester, but Satchell has plenty of goals for the rest of the school year. One of those goals is “to actually make it more accessible for people to plan events and be a pretty straightforward process.” Satchell’s plan focuses specifically on “increased transparency, accessibility and communication.” Recently, she sent an email inviting students to help plan Spring Waltz.

Satchell feels she’s a natural event planner. “It’s just planning events, it’s something I don’t mind doing, I like to plan things anyway,” Satchell said.

Satchell plans to bring enthusiasm and an eye for detail to the position. She said, “most of the events this semester have already been planned. The only thing I have to plan myself is Spring Waltz.” Satchell also decided the lineup for upcoming films in the Harris cinema: “A Star Is Born,” “Lego Movie 2” and “Over the Hedge.” Satchell has rescheduled Reggaetón for Saturday, April 27. She also applauds the Tit Head and Relays organizers for already planning their events and submitting their budgets.

Erica Satchell ’21 was appointed last week to fill the vacant ACE chair position left after Selah Mystic ’19 stepped down amidst calls for her removal. Satchell will focus on transparency and Spring Waltz in her time on cabinet.
Photo by Shabana Gupta