Historical Society to hold Cemetery Walk Saturday

The Historical Society will host a Cemetery Walk in Hazelwood Cemetery. Photo by Zoey Kohler.

For all interested in the history of Grinnell residents, or those looking to spend a day among the dead, this Saturday is a day to remember. On Sept. 29, the Grinnell Historical Museum is having its annual Cemetery Walk in order to retell the life stories of some notable Grinnellians.

The Cemetery Walk will be located at Hazelwood Cemetery this Saturday from 2 p.m.-5 p.m., and, although admission is free, it is highly encouraged that each group donates $5. There is a rain-date scheduled for Oct. 6.

The walk itself will be divided into two groups that will visit five or six graves. One group will focus on Grinnellians in the military and the other will focus on notable women of Grinnell. Storytellers will be situated at each gravesite to reenact the life of each person. Although there will be two separate tours, visitors who are up for a bit more walking will be able to experience both groups. Visitors are encouraged to bring water and comfortable shoes.