Letter to the editor: 26 days of local action on gun violence

I write in the wake of the mass shootings in Las Vegas and Texas in recognition of the fact that last year 33,880 Americans died from gun violence. In response to these tragic events, a number of concerned Grinnellians are joining together to hold 26 days of action, leading up to a vigil on December 14th in remembrance of the Sandy Hook massacre five years ago. The vigil will be held in Central Park at 7:30 p.m. On that evening and in the days preceding it, we strongly urge the community to come together to discuss gun violence in our country and strategies for reducing it. 

We in Grinnell have an unusual as well as a very important role to play in this discussion. The president of the National Rifle Association, CEO of Brownells and local philanthropist Pete Brownell lives in our community. We requested that he enter into dialogue with us in a personal letter signed by 170 citizens, to which he did not respond. We now publicly call on him again to use his influence both as a business owner and as president of the NRA to help shift the NRA’s political agenda from one of “guns for everyone all the time in every place” to one of sensible gun laws that promote public health and safety.

Please watch for news of the events planned for late November and December, and please join the conversation.

Sincerely,

Former College President George Drake