What to do this weekend in Grinnell

Attention all book worms!

This weekend, the Friends of the Drake Community Library will be hosting a used book sale to raise funds to support the library. According to the announcement on the library’s website, the event will be taking place in the library’s Community Room on Saturday, Oct. 7 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. As the used book sale benefits a nonprofit, the prices will all be unbelievably low, and there are sure to be some unexpected treasures for anyone willing to seek them out.

The book sale is open to all members of the Grinnell community and the College, and will be perfect for all book lovers, although non-readers are welcome too, especially if they are buying. This event also presents a particularly good opportunity for thrifty college students to get their hands on the notoriously expensive commodity that is a good book. Furthermore, the location and nature of the event lend themselves to interactions between the students and the community, and provide a good way to step outside the Grinnell College bubble. Most importantly, however, the proceeds go to support Grinnell’s community library and, by extension, the town of Grinnell. So get out this weekend — stop by the Drake Community Library, pick up a book or two, meet people and take the opportunity to support a vital community center.

Reporting by Amanda Weber

Roll through the skate park fundraiser

Did you know that Grinnell has its own skate/BMX park? Currently, the park is fundraising to  “revamp and re-ramp.” The park had wooden ramps, until they were removed for safety reasons. A modern, concrete skate park is in the works, to help provide a safe, central space for kids to practice their sport. The skate park also opens the possibility of Grinnell hosting competitions. Dana Rich, the Executive Director of Imagine Grinnell, emphasizes on the fundraiser Facebook page that the people who frequent skate parks are not people who participate in better-funded, organized and institutionally recognized team sports. The skate park shows a commitment to these kids, and shows that Grinnell places value in their activities. The $250,000 project has gained the attention of skateboard legend Tony Hawk, whose foundation donated $5,000 to the park. The park is set to open on July 4, 2018. This Friday, there will be a cookout fundraiser at Bailey Park. There will be free food, as well as a chance to ride with some of the skate/BMX community! Bring some dollars to donate and support — the College is currently matching every dollar donated to the park. 

Reporting by Vera Kahn

Time capsule to see light after 100 years

While organizing the centennial celebration for Grinnell’s Davis Elementary School, the planning committee learned of a pleasant surprise — a time capsule had been placed in a cornerstone of the school in 1917. This Friday, as a part of the school’s centennial celebrations, the time capsule will be opened! The century-old contents will be on display to the public from 3 to 5 p.m. The school is located at 818 Hamilton Ave.

Reporting by Vera Kahn