ISO cabinet elected: Deqa Aden, Bardan Sigdel, Ridhika Agrawal as President, Vice President, Treasurer

The International Student Organization (ISO) is in the midst of their executive cabinet elections for the 2017-18 school year. With 18 percent of the student body consisting of international students, ISO is very active in both the Grinnell community and at the College. “One of our roles is to really promote inclusion and diversity across campus and the community,” said ISO president Takahiro Omura ’17.

ISO works to celebrate and acknowledge the cultural diversity that Grinnell’s international students offer to both the community and the College. This recognition is accomplished through various activities such as the Food Bazaar and Cultural Evening, an event which is currently scheduled for April 22 from 7-9 p.m.

ISO makes an effort to be close with the Grinnell community. Recently a few members of ISO have spoken about global contemporary issues, such as politics or climate change, with students at Grinnell High School. Members of ISO also visited with the residents at Mayflower and discussed current and past political movements.

Not only does ISO work to celebrate diversity, ISO ensures that international students’ voices are heard on campus.

“ISO hopes to voice students’ opinions or concerns that may not be as represented as much as they should be and this is what we strive to do,” Omura said.

“It’s really important that ISO is represented in campus-wide conversations,” added ISO Social Coordinator May Kurata ’19.

ISO works to close the cultural gap that may be present between domestic and international students in an effort to create a more unified campus.

“We host events that students from all kinds of backgrounds, regardless of where they come from, can create together and have fun,” Kurata said.

There are six positions available on the executive cabinet: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Social Coordinator and Publicity Coordinator. All of these positions have an equal voice in the goals and objectives of ISO; one’s say is not determined by the position they hold.

This is a point that Omura thinks is an integral part of ISO.

“It’s not so much a position based cabinet, but everyone having contributions that may not be exactly related to their job title.”

Kurata stresses the importance of commitment if one is going to be part of the ISO executive cabinet.

“They [must] care about the cultural diversity at Grinnell. And they [need to] want to make sure that domestic students, international students and townspeople all feel part of this cultural diversity.”