Fundraiser for human rights issue

On Thursday, Oct. 8, Grinnell joins forces with Invisible Children in the fight against the exploitation of children in northern Uganda. Since 1987, the atrocities committed by Joseph Kony’s Lord’s Resistance Army have resulted in the abduction of 30,000 children and the displacement of 1.5 million Ugandan citizens.

Invisible Children, Inc. is a non-profit 501c(3) organization that works to document the plight of children caught amidst the Ugandan conflict. “What’s so special about it is that it’s built around high-school and college students,” said the event’s planner, Hoh Moon ’11. Currently, the organization is attempting to put pressure on President Obama to adopt a number of resolutions for Kony’s arrest and the disarmament of the LRA, and the proceeds from this week’s events will go directly to help the organization.

In order to raise awareness of this human rights crisis, a screening of an Invisible Children documentary, entitled The Rescue, will take place in the Forum South Lounge on Oct. 8. Grinnell Student Peace Action Network, Grinnell College UNICEF, African Students Union, and GP Crew have come together to declare Oct. 5-9 Invisible Children Awareness Week at Grinnell.
Following Thursday’s screening, a discussion will be held for students interested in exploring the issue surrounding the Ugandan conflict. Additionally, merchandise tables will be present at the screening, which will allow interested students to provide financial support to Invisible Children, Inc.

Moon, a registered Invisible Children member, was approached by the organization in mid-August about the possibility of conducting a screening at Grinnell. Excited by the prospect of supporting the cause, Moon quickly put a plan into motion and gathered the support of other campus groups.
On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, volunteers will be tabling outside of the dining hall at both lunch and dinner in order to provide publicity for the event. Additionally, several dancers from GP Crew have offered to freestyle outside of dinner on these dates.