Former President Bill Clinton visits Harris for Hillary

Bill Clinton – John Brady
Former President Bill Clinton addresses the Grinnell Community in Harris on Saturday Jan. 30 in support of his wife, Presidential Candidate Hillary Clinton. Photo by John Brady

Steve Yang, Features Editor

yangstev17@grinnell.edu

Speaking before an at-capacity audience in Harris Center on Saturday, Jan. 30, former President Bill Clinton endorsed his wife, former senator and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for the Democratic caucus in Iowa. After field speeches and introductions from campaign representatives including David Leitson ’16 and Benj Ogden-Lord ’19, the former president laid out a variety of reasons why he supports Hillary Clinton and why Grinnellians should do the same.

President Clinton’s arrival to campus came as a happy finale for campaign organizers in Poweshiek County, who wanted to see a strong endorsement for Hillary Clinton after Bernie Sanders’ and Martin O’Malley’s own visits to campus.

“It was nice to have one more pitch to the student body,” Leitson said. “And I don’t think there are many people who provide that pitch better than Bill Clinton.”

Standing before the Iowa state flag, President Clinton discussed Hillary Clinton’s experiences and achievements as Senator and Secretary of State in income and inequality and mentioned that the next President could appoint up to three Supreme Court Justices. Frequently, Bill Clinton mixed optimistic messages advocating the United States’ international strength with the country’s moral imperative to lead the world on global issues.

“Look, we still got problems, but this is the best-positioned large country in the world,” Bill Clinton said. “America can’t work until we restore ground-based prosperity, and … unless we have broadly seeded prosperity, we can’t sustain our position in the world.”

Bill Clinton touched on a wide range of oft-mentioned issues such as the Black Lives Matter movement and racial equality, Wall Street reform, education, the economy, gender discrepancy in pay, renewable energy and immigration. His endorsements of Hillary Clinton’s experience and passion were combined with anecdotes, facts about Iowa and Iowans and the odd chart.

“I thought it was really convincing,” said Aaron Levin ’17.

President Clinton encouraged Grinnellians to reclaim their own futures, suggesting that Americans have been dying and failing due to “a broken heart.”

“They’re out there, thinking every day is going to be worse than yesterday,” he said. “It only works if we do it together. … It only works if there’s trust again.”

He concluded with a proud endorsement of Hillary Clinton, discussing her efforts and track record with legislation and bipartisanship. He repeatedly stated that Hillary Clinton is a “changemaker” who is good at finding common ground and making something happen.

“[Hillary’s] instinct in any situation is, ‘What can I do to make something good happen?’” Bill Clinton said. “Everything she touches, she makes better.”