Executive Firm Hired for Presidential Search

Executive search firm, Isaacson, Miller, had been hired by Grinnell College’s Presidential Search Committee to help identify and judge candidates to replace retiring President Russell Osgood.

The firm expects to finish assembling a pool of candidates by the end of the calendar year, and will select finalists no later than March.
The Committee will write a document entitled Grinnell Perspectives clarifying what they perceive to be the important and unique qualities of Grinnell, and what they are looking for in potential candidates.

The document will be posted onto the Grinnell College website by September 24.

Chair of the Search Committee, trustee Paul Risser, emphasized that even after Grinnell Perspectives is released, the Committee will still seek additional student input.

“The document, we hope, will do a good job characterizing Grinnell, the sort of opportunities that are here, and the job description itself,” Risser said. “…the website will continue to stay open, and we’ll encourage conversation throughout[the selection process].”
Meanwhile, representatives of Isaacson, Miller are acclimating themselves to Grinnell, and have met with students, staff, and faculty in small groups to understand the various issues on campus.

SGA President Harry Krejsa ’10, is impressed by Isaacson, Miller’s dedication to learning about campus affairs. “I’ve been really pleased with how enthusiastically the representatives from the Isaacson, Miller search firm were in seeking out opinions from all campus constituencies,” Krejsa said.

Peter Stanley, Isaacson, Miller Vice President, hosted a forum this past Monday on the presidential search open to all students. Students expressed competing opinions as to whether Grinnell has lived up to its dedication to self-governance, social justice, and a student voice in campus affairs. Students also suggested that the next president’s priorities should be openness, diversity, and dedication to student learning.

Jon Richardson ’10, unable to comment, is the only member of the student body to be on the Search Committee, mainly composed of trustees and faculty. However, Krejsa is confident that students’ opinions and interests will not be overlooked, “I have complete confidence in Jon Richardson… to represent students’ opinions well, as well as to be an actively contributing member of the committee.”
Students can leave comments on the Presidential Search Committee’s website, http://www.grinnell.edu/offices/president/search.