Audiologist discusses assisted listening systems

Audiologist and hearing loop activist Juliette Sterkens visited campus to present, “What everyone with hearing loss (or those who serve the public) should know about hearing aids and hearing loss,” and to promote the installation of hearing loops, a type of hearing assistance for people with hearing aids.

Sterkens - Aaron Juarez

While hearing loops are just one type of assisted listening system, Sterkens said that she believes they are the most effective because they cut out background noise rather than just making all noises louder. The installation of assisted listening systems is part of a mandate by the Americans with Disabilities Act, and Jennifer Krohn, the senior research associate who coordinated Sterkens’ visit, said that she feels that they are a crucial way to ensure many programs the College offers are accessible to all faculty, staff, students, alumni, trustees and visitors.

“We don’t know who doesn’t hear when we hold programs,” Krohn said. “One of the reasons really promoting this hearing loop is so that we have awareness on campus. Juliette Sterkens is one of the leading advocates for hearing in the country.”

Hearing loops have already been installed in JRC 101 and JRC 209, and there are intentions to add them to up to 30 more rooms on campus.