Sharks in the water: the Grinnell Tigersharks

Members of the Grinnell Tigersharks recently competed in the Greater Iowa Swim League Meet. Photo by Kelly Rose Johnson
Members of the Grinnell Tigersharks recently competed in the Greater Iowa Swim League Meet.
Photo by Kelly Rose Johnson

Last Saturday, 42 middle and elementary school swimmers from the Grinnell Tigersharks Swim Team competed in the 2015 Greater Iowa Swim League Meet in Fort Dodge, Iowa. This was the ninth meet the team has competed in and marks the end of the season that began in November of 2014.

“It was a state meet that the swimmers had to qualify for, so not everybody on the team was able to participate,” said Jalyn Marks ’16, a member of the Pioneers swim team who is also a coach for the Tigersharks.

Highlights of the event for Grinnell included Lily Ensign’s first place finish in the girls 11-12 200 yard freestyle event, finishing in 2:25.04. This finish was fast enough to assure Ensign a spot in regionals. In the boys 13-14 50 yard fly, Grinnell’s Levi Durr placed second with the time of 33.65 to earn a spot in regionals. Durr also earned a spot in regionals with his fourth place finish in the boys 13-14 50 yard back, with a time of 34.54.

“I am thrilled with the numbers and talent we have on this team right now.  The success of the team is also due to dedicated parents and coaches.  We were able to increase our coaching staff by three coaches this season.  Many, many thanks to coaches Jalyn Marks (Grinnell College Junior), Nate Dobbels, Joe Zimsen [‘92], Matt Miller, Mindy Sieck, and Natalie Pavey for all of their hard work and their fantastic coaching techniques that have turned this team into efficient, talented swimmers,” wrote Kelly Rose Johnson, Grinnell’s Parks and Recreation Director, in a press release.

Jarrett Rose, age 14, who has been swimming in meets since he was seven, participated in last weekend’s event, placing second in the boys 13-14 200 yard free.

“There were lots of good kids out there in my age group that I may be swimming against in high school next season.  All my individual events I earned a personal best time with some big time drops.  This is what we work for at the beginning of the season, is to peak during the right time and have your best times at the end of the season,” Rose wrote in an email to The S&B.

Rose, who also had solid showings in the 100 yard back and 100 yard free, did not qualify for regionals but still had a great time at the event.

“Meets are fun. The State Meet is the biggest meet of the year that we have to earn qualifying times to swim in.  It is a chance to see our time drops and hang out with my teammates,” Rose wrote.

President Raynard Kington and Professor Stephen Sieck, Chemistry, are two members of the College’s staff and faculty who have children on the Tigersharks. Emerson Kington and Jeffery Sieck were part of the fourth-placing team in the boys eight and under 100 medley relay team. In addition, Jeffery placed fourth in the eight and under back event and his sister, Kayla Sieck, placed third in the girls 9-10 200 yard free.

The Tigersharks practice three days per week in the evening after the College team finishes their practice, which is how Marks became involved.

“I would see them after my own swim practice. Their practice starts right after College team gets out of practice at 6:30, so I approached the coach and asked if they needed any assistance,” Marks said. “It’s an awesome way to be part of the community and hang out with kids because you don’t get that here.”

Marks said a challenge the team faced during the season were days in which where swimmers could not come to practice because there was another event happening in town.

“A lot of the kids in Grinnell are involved in everything. They to fill up all the sports teams, all the bands, all the choirs, so often times we’ll even have to cancel practice because everybody and their brothers and sisters will be at the choir concert,” Marks said.