Football suffers loss

Photo+by+John+Brady.+
Photo by John Brady.

The football team was left discouraged after its 38-3 home loss against Monmouth College last Saturday.

Although down only 14-3 after halftime, Grinnell was overwhelmed by Monmouth’s offense, allowing 24 points in the second half.

“They wore us out,” said linebacker David Ternes ’15. “They were putting three different lines of offense out there. However, we didn’t do our jobs and we cannot allow that to happen.”

Photo by John Brady.
Photo by John Brady.

According to Ternes, giving up big yardage plays on first down hampered the team.

“We allowed a lot of big plays on first down, which made it second and four, second and three,” he said. “That opens up their playbook so they could run pretty much what they wanted.”

Monmouth had 24 first downs compared to the Pioneers’ 13 while converting seven third downs. The Fighting Scots had possession of the ball for 56 percent of the game, which wore out the Pioneers’ thin defensive squad.

The next game against Lake Forest College will be Ternes and the senior class’ last Midwest Conference contest. Ternes has been rewriting the record book since he came to Grinnell. He recorded the most sacks in a game by a Grinnell player earlier in the season and after compiling 14 tackles last weekend. He amassed 390 tackles in his career, the second most by a Pioneer.

Ternes is confident that Grinnell can finish his career with a win.

“If everyone does their jobs next week, I am confident that we will win against Lake Forest,” he said.

The Pioneers will kick off tomorrow’s 10:30 a.m. game at Lake Forest College, which is on a three-game losing streak.