Men’s soccer hopes for berth in MWC tourney

Rockne+DeCoster+%E2%80%9915+dribbles+against+Lawrence+University+on+Saturday%2C+Oct.+18.+Photo+by+Chris+Lee.+
Rockne DeCoster ’15 dribbles against Lawrence University on Saturday, Oct. 18. Photo by Chris Lee.

The men’s soccer team’s season is drawing to a close as the team vies for a spot in the Midwest Conference (MWC)Tournament. Since fall break, the Pioneers have won three while tying one game to improve their overall record to 8-3-5, 4-2-3 in Conference. One of the victories included a 1-0 win on Senior Day against Lawrence University on Saturday, Oct. 18.

“Senior Day was a time for all of us to be recognized,” said Isaiah Tyree ’15. “We’ve been playing for four years. It’s a signal to the end.”

Tyree has been a monster for the team, allowing only four goals in a season that saw many games go into overtime. His presence, along with nine other seniors, will surely be missed after the season.

Head coach Brian Jaworski expressed his affection for the veteran squad.

“Each team is different and I think what I really appreciate about this year’s team is they have really … blazed their own trail,” he said.

One day after their win on Senior Day, the Pioneers drew a scoreless tie with St. Norbert College. The team continued its fight for a Conference tourney berth by beating Monmouth College 1-0 in double overtime last Saturday. In the must-win game, Elliot Meyer ’15 scored a penalty kick with fewer than three minutes in the second overtime to notch a victory.

“It was such a great goal and lead up to the deciding penalty kick,” Jaworski said. “Four seniors touched the ball and each time they made the right play when it was really our last chance.”

The Pioneers put up a tough competition throughout the entire game, including the heated moment leading up to the second overtime.

“There was a sense that we [were] going to win, even though the odds were against us,” Tyree said.

In the last home match of the season, Grinnell blanketed Cornell College 8-0. The shutout was 10th of the season and the goal total was the most for Grinnell since 2011.

“The most important thing to leave behind is pride for the team,” Jaworski said. “And I know what was left for me is that Grinnell has a history of being good at soccer and so we have to uphold that.”

Although Grinnell is currently in seventh place in the Conference standings, only two Conference points separate the Pioneers and the third place Lake Forest College. While the Pioneers are not in control of their destiny, their final game of the season against last place Ripon College tomorrow is a must-win game -that may lift the team to the Conference Tournament.