Bettering Grinnell with Mutual’s new grants

If you have ever had an idea to better the Grinnell community, now is the time to pursue it. Grinnell Mutual Reinsurance Company is seeking applicants for 3,500 dollars worth of grants they will be distributing to organizations that play a positive role in the community.

Now through Thursday, Oct. 31, people are able to submit their proposals through Grinnell Mutual’s Facebook page. Finalists will be announced Tuesday, Nov. 12, at which point everyone is welcome to visit the Facebook page and vote for what they believe is the best proposal. Voting ends Tuesday, Nov. 26. The three that receive the most votes will be chosen as finalists and receive 2,000 dollars, 1,000  dollars and 500 dollars, respectively.

“Working Together Making It Better,” as the grant program is called, is Grinnell Mutual’s way of recognizing the community and all the great things that go on in it.

“The people who live in our rural marketplace work hard to make their communities a better place,” said Barb Baker, Grinnell Mutual’s Director of Advertising and Community Relations. “They work together volunteering, coaching and fundraising. Their efforts make their communities better.”

This is the first year the “Working Together Making It Better” grants have been offered, but the company hopes it will not be the last.

“We’re hoping to make it an annual event,” Baker said. “But this is our first year, so we’ll be gauging the community’s engagement and hope it’ll be a good fit and generate interest.”

Anyone can submit a request as long as it involves a local organization that is registered as a 501(c)(3) and will benefit the community. If a student wishes to submit a grant idea but is not involved with a 501(c)(3), they can name the Greater Poweshiek Community Foundation as the agency.

“People living and working in rural areas know what it takes to make a community a better place,” Baker said. “Their votes on Grinnell Mutual’s Facebook page will decide which projects will receive grants.”

Grinnell Mutual has a long history of community involvement. Founded in 1909, they have grown to become the 123rd largest property-casualty insurance company in the United States, offering several types of insurance. Also, as their name suggests, they offer reinsurance, a product that insures insurance in case there is ever large-scale damage that would exceed an insurance company’s ability to payout.