Weekend arts preview

“A Part From Us”

Smith Gallery – 4:15 p.m.

There will be a reception for the new exhibit opening in Smith Gallery: a collaborative effort between Rosie O’Brien ’16, Becky Garner ’15 and Hannah Kelley ’16, entitled “A Part From Us.” Unlike many collaborative exhibits that compile original pieces, each created by one artist, the centerfold piece of this exhibit is a composite drawing made by all three artists together.

The drawing is based on a woman from a 70s magazine, and the level of shading of different parts of the woman’s body reflects the number of responses each body part received when the artists asked females on-campus, “What is your favorite part of your body?” The exhibit also includes other interactive elements that focus on feminist themes.

“It’s basically an exhibit that is a way for us to visually represent the answers we got,” Garner said. “We want the exhibit to be a self-reflection for the females on campus to think about self-image in comparison to media images, particularly pornographic images, and what society might be telling us versus what we think we like about our bodies the most.”

Kenny Garrett Quintet

Herrick Chapel – 7:30 p.m.

The Kenny Garrett Quintet will be performing in Herrick Chapel on Friday night—their only North American performance on their otherwise European tour this fall. The quintet is composed of Grammy Award-winning bandleader and saxophonist Kenny Garrett; acoustic bassist Corcoran Holt; pianist Vernell Brown; percussionist Rudy Bird and drummer McClenty Hunter. Garrett’s saxophone career found its start when he began playing with the Duke Ellington Orchestra in 1978, and he is now best known for the five years he spent playing with Miles Davis. The quintet plays high energy post-bop/jazz fusion that is very distinctive in the way it mixes jazz with elements of bop, rock and world music. A limited number of tickets have been made available for this event at the box office in Bucksbaum or at the Pioneer Bookshop downtown. The event is free.

Upright Citizens Brigade

Harris Concert Hall – 8:30 p.m.

Members of the Upright Citizens Brigade will be performing a 70-minute improv comedy show in the Harris Concert Hall, sponsored by ACE. The Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre is dedicated to cultivating arts appreciation and education through exceptional, affordable comedic performances and classes. Since the opening of its first theater in 1999, Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre has spread across the country, developing many more successful comedy clubs and comedy educational centers.

[Freesound] Outdoor Music Festival

Central Campus Stage – 12:00 p.m.

Freesound is hosting an outdoor concert for Family Weekend comprised of more than 11 student and staff acts, including The Rock ‘Em Poppers — Aaltan Ahmad ’14, Adriana Walsh ’15 and Leah Meyer ’15, and The Veins — Hannah Condon ’16, Vincent Kelley ’16 and Tom Earnest ’16.

“Having it outside during the day with parents there, there isn’t a lot of pressure, as compared to indoor, dark room concerts,” said Freesound member Micah Nelson ’14. “It’s a good chance for people to start playing early on [in the semester]. I’m looking forward to it, personally—it’s always fun to watch and fun to play.”

Grinnell Symphony Orchestra

Sebring-Lewis Hall – 2:00 p.m.

The orchestra performance will include “Peer Gynt Suite No. 1” by Edvard Grieg, “Swan Lake” by Tchaikovsky and Liadov’s Eight Russian Folk Songs. Alexander Fokkens, the artistic director of the Free State Symphony Orchestra in Cape Town, South Africa, will guest conduct.

“Singers, Composers, Writers, Artists! Storied Music”

Herrick Chapel – 7:30 p.m.

The Grinnell Singers and the Grinnell Oratorio Society will perform “Aesop’s Fables” by Bob Chilcott, a work well-suited to the storytelling theme of this choral concert.

The concert will also be the premiere of “Piano Miniatures,” a piece created by John Rommereim (composer), Music; Dean Bakopoulos (writer), English and Lee Running (artist), Art, as a collaborative work. The piece was created over the summer as the three professors prepared for the course they will team-teach for Spring semester 2014.

Grammy Award-winning saxophonist Kenny Garrett will perform in Herrick Chapel tonight. Photo contributed.