Scorching Start to Fall Semester

By Anthony Lam 

lamantho17@grinnell.edu

With the start of a new school year, it seemed as though summer had officially ended. However, for Grinnellians, this was not the case. From the dry humidity to the scorching sun, students have found themselves hiding out in any available air-conditioned facilities on campus.

“I am so grateful that Grinnell placed me in East Campus. The A.C. is my savior,” said Armando Perez ’17.

For many students who have the luxury of having A.C. in their dorm rooms, the heat has not been much of an issue. But for those who live without these accommodations, it has proved to be a challenge.

“Well, the heat is like death. I don’t have air-conditioning and I almost passed out once. So, you can say that I am managing the heat wave pretty well,” said Michelle Risacher ’17.

The record-breaking temperatures did not, however, compromise NSO programming.

“Luckily, all of our major NSO programs were intentionally scheduled in air-conditioned rooms.  Several outdoor events were at cooler times … We decided not to make any changes to those, but did indeed move some things inside the JRC, most notably being the Grinnell Fest (with organization fair) and All-Campus Picnic,” wrote Andrea Conner, Associate Dean of Students, in an email to the S&B.

It is important to continue to stay hydrated during this heat and take advantage of the many air-conditioned facilities on campus. Although a break may be on the horizon, it appears as though the temperature will drop slightly to the mid to high 80s in the next few days.Sweaty Laurel Leaf (2)