Spotlight: Walker Bell ’15

Photo by Eric Mistry
Photo by Eric Mistry

Walker Bell ’15, of Newberg, Oregon, hit his career-first homer last weekend in an 8-2 win over Illinois College. Bell additionally set a Grinnell College school record April 4 and was selected as Grinnell College’s Athlete of the Week this week. Bell went 6-of-6 during Grinnell’s 14-8 win over Knox College, breaking the previous hit record of five, which had been held by five players.

What are you most proud of this season so far?

I’d have to say our team’s ability to come back in tough games and after losses. We’re very good at flushing out mistakes and not repeating [them].

What’s the training schedule like?

During the fall and winter, we were lifting five times a week. When we started practicing, it became two-a-days five days a week, plus lifting five times a week. With practice hitting, we can end up with four to five hour practices.

Do you have any lucky rituals that you do before games?

Me and the other first baseman, Graham Conlon [’14], have a handshake we like to perform before each game. And then me and few of the other players get together for a prayer before and after the games.

What would be the last sport you would ever compete in?

Diving, it’s just crazy. You’re going headfirst into a pool and if you miss, you end up breaking your wrist. It’s not fun; it’s terrifying.

What’s it feel like when you hit a home run?

Well, off the bat, you can’t tell it’s a home run, so you want to get around first as quickly as possible. And then once it goes out, you’re trying to get yourself to slow down, because you don’t have to run that fast anymore. When you finally race to the plate, it’s not really an emotional thing, but a moment of success to share with your teammates.

What’s your favorite Dining Hall item and why?

Gooey butter cake. That’s just obvious. It doesn’t matter what else is in the Dining Hall. If gooey butter cake is there, you need to get some.

If you were an animal, what would you be?

A koala, because you don’t do anything. It’s perfect. It’s what every college student aims for.

If you could make any Harris party, what would it be?

I’d make it bounce-themed. There’d be trampolines, bouncy castles, all those kind of things. It’d be awesome.

-compiled by Eric Mistry