Jimmy John’s adds to sandwich scene

Jimmy John’s is now open on 6th and Main. Photograph by John Brady.

By Eric Mistry 

mistryer@grinnell.edu

Sandwich enthusiasts watched with growing excitement as the new Jimmy John’s was built. Now, they can check it out for themselves.
Jimmy John’s, located at the corner of 6th and Main, opened for business a few weeks ago. Boasting “freaky fast” service and a menu full of gourmet subs, this franchise seeks to capture part of Grinnell’s competitive sandwich market. It joins Comeback Cafe, The Back Alley Deli, Subway and perhaps even the Grill as a contender for Grinnellians’ sandwich preference.

Construction began at the building, which was formerly occupied by Kelsey’s, amid rumors last fall. Jimmy John’s finally opened a few weeks into this semester, giving Grinnellians another option to check out for lunch.

The menu is fairly straightforward and offers sandwiches for most tastes. There are options for vegetarians and carnivores alike, with some student favorites, including the Gourmet Veggie Club, the Beach Club and the Italian Night Club.

“I love the Italian Night Club!” said Tim Sherwood ’16. “It’s like a Harris party in my mouth!”

Jimmy John’s also offers an “un-wich,” which consists of the sandwich wrapped in lettuce instead of bread, a workable option for those following a gluten-free diet. Chips, drinks and cookies are also available as sides.

The store itself is a fun lunch location, its walls filled with humorous, snarky signs and the smell of fresh bread and sandwich sauces permeating the air. A few tables are available for dining in, but the limited seating area and busy drive-thru make it feel more like a grab-and-go kind of a place. Delivery is also an option, with in-dorm delivery presenting an enticing option for students.

“I’m super excited to order an Italian Night Club straight to my room,” said Dylan Gray ’14.

The lunch hour was extremely busy when I arrived for my review, and the team of sandwich workers were assembling sandwiches non-stop for customers in-store and at the drive-thru. I felt a little rushed with the crowd of people in the store, but this should settle down as the novelty of a new place wears off.

I ordered an Italian Night Club with a side of jalapeño kettle chips for a total of $7.25. A little more than a minute later, my sandwich was ready. In-store, Jimmy John lives up to its “freaky-fast” service claim.

The sandwich itself was excellent and substantial. The combination of ingredients worked well for the sandwich, and the fresh bread really brought all the flavors together. One sandwich was definitely enough to fill me up, which is always a plus. The texture of the crunchy kettle chips contrasted pleasantly with the sandwich, adding an extra element to the meal. All in all, a tasty lunch!

In essence, Jimmy John’s is an awesome choice for a quick and filling lunch. The variety of excellent and creative sandwich choices ensure everyone can find something to enjoy. The prices are reasonable and the service is quick and efficient. Jimmy John’s has proved its worth as a contender, leaving all Grinnellians with a choice: which sandwich?