Lightning Bolt hits Gardner

By Sid Dhananjay 

dhananja@grinnell.edu

Lightning Bolt, Supersonic Piss and Paducah will be bringing the noise to Grinnell this Friday. The headliner for the show, Lightning Bolt, is a “two piece group with massive sounds,” according to the Grinnell Concerts blog.

Founded in Rhode Island during the late nineties by vocalist/drummer Brian Chippendale and bassist Brian Gibson, Lightning Bolt is currently touring in North America to promote their upcoming EP, Oblivion Hunter, which is set to release later this month.

“They’re essentially a noise-rock duo with metal and punk influences,” said Leah Yacknin-Dawson ’13, Grinnell Concerts Publicity Manager and Social Outreach Coordinator.

Photo by Chris Gallo

Known for putting on some of the best live performances, Lightning Bolt “induces a visceral feeling that’s terrifyingly frantic and claustrophobic,” said Poojith Padmaraj ’13, Concerts Chair.

“There are very few artists that you can easily compare with Lighting Bolt because they are so unconventional in their approach,” Padmaraj added.

The Rhode Island School of Design alums are unique in their genre-bending originality.

“While they are technically a bass guitar and drum duo, they constantly redefine what those instruments are used for,” Padmaraj said.

He recommends the song “2 morrow morrow land” as it is “especially dope” but admits, “I love all their songs.”

Opening for them will be Iowa City natives Supersonic Piss, a noise-punk band and Paducah, a Grinnell act. Comprised of Padmaraj, Clint Williamson ’13, Vadim Fainberg ’13 and Garin Kessler ’14, Paducah is a “mix of stoner metal, post-hardcore, and emo,” Williamson said.

Formerly known as [gluestick], the band has decided to add Kessler on bass and move in a new direction.

“We changed the band name after deciding that we were done with the hardcore punk route we’d been doing,” Williamson said.

They are very excited to open for Lightning Bolt, one of their major inspirations.

“Pooj, Vadim, and I have been into Lightning Bolt since we were first years. It was one of the musical influences that brought us together as a group so we are really excited for the opportunity just to see them, nevertheless open for them,” Williamson said.

“The show is going to be crazy. Their sound is heavy and super loud. Hopefully we don’t blow a circuit,” Yacknin-Dawson said.

Lightning Bolt, Supersonic Piss and Paducah will be performing at Gardner on Friday, September 14 from 9 p.m. onwards.