Craft Approaches

Next Wednesday the 9th, the Spring Arts and Crafts Fair will take place outside the Bookstore from 2—5 p.m.  Students will be able to browse the creations of about ten student vendors, including Eric Mistry ’14, Lauren Flynn ’12, and Mona Porter ’12, with items ranging from knitted scarves to artisan lip balm and vegan snacks.
Organizers Toby Cain ’12 and Jennifer Brown ’12 said they enjoy putting on the Arts and Crafts Fair because it allows students a glimpse at the hidden talents of their peers.
“I like seeing what people create… Arts and crafts are not usually something people go around and wave in front of people’s faces, but it’s nice to see the really cool things people do in their spare time,” Brown said.
Vendor Allison Brinkhorst ’11 is one such crafty Grinnellian.  Her greeting cards and candles are made exclusively of recycled materials, adding an environmentally friendly flair to her work.  She has also been experimenting with modge-podge, the art of decorating ordinary used items with colorful magazine clippings to make them new again.
Brinkhorst, an Arts and Craft Fair veteran, almost missed selling at this year’s fair due to a conflicting event.
“They said they would sell the things for me, but just getting the money for my crafts was not exciting…Being there, having people appreciate what you’re doing is actually why I do it,” she said.
Brown and Cain invite any students interested in selling to contact them at [craft], or even just to show up before 2 p.m. on Wednesday with any craft items they’re willing to part with.
“We’ll find space for them.  Everyone should be able to sell,” said Brown.
In case of rain the event will be moved inside the Bookstore, which will be holding a 20% off sale on the 9th to further entice students to check out the Fair.