Union Bargaining Resumes

Students attend a Back to Bargaining Rally outside of the Joe Rosenfield `25 Center on Feb. 28, 2024. Bargaining between the Union of Grinnell Student Dining Workers and the College resumed in February after nearly a year hiatus, leading to the historic contract that was approved on Thursday, April 4.
Students attend a “Back to Bargaining Rally” outside of the Joe Rosenfield `25 Center on Feb. 28, 2024. Bargaining between the Union of Grinnell Student Dining Workers and the College resumed in February after nearly a year hiatus, leading to the historic contract that was approved on Thursday, April 4.
Zach Spindler-Krage

The Union of Grinnell Student Dining Workers (UGSDW) and Grinnell College returned to the bargaining table on Wednesday, Feb. 28, ending months of uncertainty and dueling Unfair Labor Practice (ULP) complaints. The last bargaining negotiations were held in April 2023. 

Prior to the 4:00 p.m. bargaining session, UGSDW held a “Back to Bargaining Rally” outside the Joe Rosenfield Center at noon. Messages of “NOT a strike” and “WORKER POWER” were written in chalk on the sidewalk.

(Zach Spindler-Krage)

“We are here today to show Grinnell that we are no longer going to accept the bare minimum,” Conrad Dahm `26, co-president of UGSDW, said to a crowd of 15. “We are showing Grinnell that we are united for a fair contract.”

“‘Grinnell works because we do’ is not just a slogan. It means that without our labor, without us student workers, we would not function,” Dahm said before leading a chant — “Our Union united will never be divided.”

Until recently, bargaining had been paused for nearly a year. The College had filed a ULP complaint alleging bad faith bargaining on the basis of an “illegal strike” in May 2023. UGSDW alleged in its own May 2023 ULP complaint that the College was using coercive statements and refusing to bargain. This came after UGSDW membership authorized a vote for Community Advisors (CAs) to go on strike. 

UGSDW and the College reached a settlement on Feb. 20 to resolve the complaints. The settlement required passage by the UGSDW membership. It was signed by both parties and sent to the College and the National Labor Relations Board.

The bargaining session on Wednesday was not live-streamed since federal law states that when a federal mediator is present, no recordings can take place.

“The bargaining session held between the Union and the College on Wednesday was successful,” wrote Dahm and Hannah Sweet `25 in a joint email to The S&B. “We started the session by reviewing all pending proposals between us and the College and clarified points of agreement and disagreement.”

(Zach Spindler-Krage)

“Specifically, we saw a change in the College’s proposal on College & Union Rights and Responsibilities and the College’s proposed no-strike clause. For example, the Union has now won the right to bargain with the College before they can change workplace rules or the Student Worker Handbook, eliminate a position, or eliminate a workplace on campus,” Dahm and Sweet wrote.

“This will allow us to ensure that the College cannot take away jobs or change their roles substantially without student workers having a say in the matter. The new no-strike clause allows the Union to maintain protest and rally rights while also allowing UGSDW to not face discipline or discharge for respecting other potential picket lines on campus established by other Unions.”

Dahm and Sweet said UGSDW hopes to achieve progress on increasing wages to ensure that student workers are fairly compensated for their work and have protections in their workplace. 

The College did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Comment from the College will be added to the online story if provided. 

Bargaining continues next Thursday, March 7 with an unmediated session that will be livestreamed.